Tuesday 18 October 2011

I like my mum

My mum says I’m not allowed to have a chopper. Greg’s friend Nick is selling a yellow one. My mum says they’re not safe so she buys me a ten geared racer instead. Steven McManus and me are riding no handed down Redhatch Drive. He puts his foot into my front wheel and I see the road coming towards my head. It’s very sunny now. The light is the brightest I’ve ever seen and I feel warm. The light is too far away for me to climb into. I want to get closer, but something holds me back. I know my mum is in Lipton’s buying potato waffles for my sister and me. I want to go into the light, but they’re not ready for me, I’ve got to have my potato waffles. I open my eyes, but I want to shut them again. I like the light. I can have my waffles another day. I open my eyes again, this time I stay with my eyes open. Steven McManus is looking at me and adults are telling me to keep still. The ambulance comes and takes me away. My mum is in Lipton’s buying potato waffles. I like my mum, she lets me watch Dixon of Dock Green and eat After Eight mints, oh and she buys us potato waffles. My mum said I never cried when I had injections, but I did cry once. When the lady stabbed me in the arm seventeen times. She asked my mum why I was crying. My mum got angry and told the lady to give her the injection and she’d show her why I was crying. The lady said the needle must be blunt. I wish she'd worked that one out a little earlier. We are going to get my sister today. I get to choose her. I didn’t know you could buy babies at the shops. When we get there three babies are on the shelves. Not very many. Perhaps it’s been a busy day at the shops. I can have a girl baby, a boy baby or a black baby. Why is that baby black? My mum tells me that black babies are the same as white babies; they’ve just been left in the oven longer. I don’t believe my mum. My dad says the darkies come from another country, like Mr Ali who rumbled in the jungle. I don’t care where they come from. I want the black one to take home. My mum says we can’t as somebody else has already chosen that one. I don’t believe my mum. I start to cry and the other babies all cry with me. The black baby doesn’t cry. The black baby just stares at me and smiles. I like the black baby the best, but we don’t get the black baby. When we go with our new white baby I go up to the black baby in its cot and give it a kiss. The black baby grips my hair tight and pulls me towards it. The black baby whispers in my ear “thank you”. My mum and dad pick me up and we go home with our new baby. I love my new baby and ask my mum if we can keep her. My mum came down and caught me. She wasn’t very happy and started screaming and running around hysterically. I’m not allowed in the kitchen anymore. My dad put locks on the door. I must never climb inside the oven again. I just wanted to stay a little longer, like my mum told me, then I could be as beautiful and special as my new best friend, the black baby.

4 comments:

  1. I always wanted an I Love Donny t-shirt.... Dixon of Dock Green feels like another lifetime ago... very nostalgic... are you going to publish the whole book on here? Looking forward to the next instalment

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not so great for a seven year old boy though! Stay tuned for the complete story of 'I like my mum' with 'My girlfriends and other animals' coming soon. Thanks for following and keep commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RobertS says:

    I had the pleasure of reading some of this book at an early stage. I must say it's even funnier the second time round.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Rob, really appreciate you taking the time to comment. Pleased you like it and stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete