Sunday 6 November 2011

I like my mum

Me and My sister don’t see my dad ever again. I guess he didn’t run at a thousand miles per hour past the witch’s house at number eighty two. Me and my sister don’t see my mum ever again. I try and explain that the witch at number eighty two has stolen them but they don’t listen to me. Me and my sister lie down on the grass and let the sun wrap itself round our faces. I hold my sisters hand and whisper to her. They want to take us to the shops where we have to wait to be chosen like my sister and my best friend the black baby. My sister and me aren’t going back so we tell them we need to get our teddies and go upstairs. I hold my sister so tight and she looks into my eyes. We kiss each other and tears trace happy memories down our cheeks. We climb the bunk beds where we used to wake at three O’clock on Christmas morning with more excitement than the world. I wrap my snake belt around my sister’s neck and loop my pyjama cord around mine. They’ll understand that we didn’t want to go back and let us stay a little longer. My sister and me smile and hold hands. They said I wasn’t ready the first time when my mum bought us potato waffles but now it’s different.  I don’t know where my sister is but I know we’ll be playing on our orange space hopper with the growth coming out of its head soon. I can see my mum and my dad and uncle peter and aunty Sheila and Goody Putnam and everyone I’ve ever known. They look so small and fuzzy like the telly when the national anthem is played and the picture vanishes. My mum is still in Liptons buying Potato waffles and my best friend the black baby is smiling and playing with some lego. My dad is sitting in a room alone with his new best friend, Johnny Walker. One day they’ll understand why we didn’t want to go back to the shops. One day they’ll understand that I loved my mum more than Count Dracula lollies that make your tongue turn black. One day I know that they will love me as much as I love them.
 I love my mum she let me stay up and watch Dixon of Dock Green and eat after eight mints.

1 comment:

  1. Poor dear children, what a sad ending. It seems hard to understand how it could have been allowed to happen, if only someone had listened to what William actually felt.

    ReplyDelete